oneAPI plugin release schedule

Hello!

Is there any schedule/expectations for the release dates of NVIDIA/AMD oneAPI plugins with respect to the oneAPI Toolkit releases?

2023.2.0 is what I’m having in mind currently, but it would be nice to know about plans for future releases as well

Hi! Indeed the Intel oneAPI toolkits 2023.2.0 have just became available. We normally aim to release the corresponding plugin versions within a few days of the base toolkit, so they should be available shortly.

Thanks,
Rafal

The 2023.2.0 plugins are now available at developer.codeplay.com - enjoy! :smiley:

Best,
Rafal

1 Like

Great!

And thanks for making it now possible to download the plugins without logging in. Are there plans to make the Download API work without authentication?

We’re talking about it and hope to make it possible.

1 Like

Hi, I think we might need a new release for 2023.2.1.
See Suppress implicit return warnings with nvcc (#3463) · AMReX-Codes/amrex@2de66d7 · GitHub, towards the end of the page, for the issues created by the new 2023.2.1 patch release.

Hi @nnobre, thank you for reporting this. If I understand correctly, you are pulling the intel-basekit apt package which has a >= version dependency on the compiler, so as soon as new compiler version appears in the apt repo, it pulls the newest one. We will try to provide a solution for the plugin shortly, but in the meanwhile you could work around this by installing the intel-basekit-2023.2.0 apt package instead, which pulls strictly the 2023.2.0 compiler, compatible with the current plugin release.

Thanks,
Rafal

If I understand correctly, you are pulling the intel-basekit apt package which has a >= version dependency on the compiler, so as soon as new compiler version appears in the apt repo, it pulls the newest one.

Almost. :slight_smile: We actually only download a few standalone components, https://github.com/AMReX-Codes/amrex/blob/development/.github/workflows/dependencies/dependencies_dpcpp.sh, but yes, without specifying any version numbers, so it always pulls the latest one.

We will try to provide a solution for the plugin shortly

Thanks! This 2023.2.1 patch release is weird in that, at least via apt, both 2023.2.0 and 2023.2.1 directories are created, so the current plugin still thinks 2023.2.0 is installed but then fails when it finds the documentation folder for 2023.2.0 is missing. This might slightly complicate your plugin installation checks…

you could work around this

Sure, but we have a system in place that always pulls the latest versions of both the compiler and the plugins. I think it’s okay and acceptable if the tests fail for one or two days while Codeplay prepares the plugin for each new release. :slight_smile:

Hi @nnobre,
the 2023.2.1 plugin is now available in the usual place:

Going forward, our plugin releases should be compatible across patch versions, so the 2023.2.1 plugin should work with any 2023.2.X base toolkit.

2 Likes

Sweet. Thanks a lot. :slight_smile: